Friday, September 11, 2009

When Merely Rude Is An Improvement

When I learned it was Representative Joe Wilson, (R- S.C.) who screamed, “you lie!”, during President Obama’s speech on healthcare reform Wednesday night (9/9/09), I thought it was an example of the enlightened voters of the state of South Carolina having elected a guy with Tourette's Syndrome. I gather my assumption was incorrect, but this is still a vast improvement in the behavior of South Carolinians from the House.

It was Representative Preston Brooks of South Carolina who beat Massachusetts Senator Charles Sumner with a cane on the floor of the Senate. So, in terms of the behavior of South Carolina Congressmen, it is a nice upgrade to have one who is merely ignorant and rude.

Maybe South Carolina politicians are less violent these days but its politicians are still as nutty as ever. Remember the Palmetto State is led by Governor Mark Sanford whose dalliance with an Argentinean journalist brightened an otherwise imprurient summer. As I write this, Governor Sanford is still in office. The allegation that he used state funds in one way or another to further his relationship hasn’t cost this avowed “Christian” his job yet, although his wife and children have moved out.

It should also be remembered also that it was South Carolina Attorney General James L. Petigru who observed on the state’s vote for secession, “South Carolina is too small to be a Republic and too large to be an insane asylum.”

If Lincoln made a mistake, aside from going to Ford’s Theatre, it may be that he didn’t just let South Carolina walk away.

In another 150 years South Carolina politicians may behave well enough to be allowed out in public...but I'm not counting on it and if Congressman Wilson comes to work with a cane or crutches I hope someone will have the foresight to keep a close eye on him.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Atta Boy, Roger. I am simply stunned by the public's seemingly endless venom toward anyone and everone who does not agree with them. What has happened to public discourse, the idea that we talk things over and work things out. When we cannot even have a conversation, I fear for my beloved country. I have traveled the world, and I know without a doubt that we are the best country on the planet, but we are lost.